Precepts for Living® is designed to help you grow in your knowledge of God’s Word, both in your personal study and in Sunday School lessons. Based on the International Uniform Bible Lessons series, Precepts® is full of helpful features to take you deeper into the Scripture, from background overviews to in-depth Greek and Hebrew studies. Here are some of the features you’ll find:
Engaging the ThemeThematic essays written by scholars and pastors provide an overview of each quarter’s theme, putting each lesson into a unified context.
Black HistoryEach quarter features a profile of a significant figure in African American history, whose life reflects the qualities of the quarterly theme. The Scriptures in Precepts for Living honor our heritage and connect to history.
Contextualized IllustrationsFull-page artwork brings the Scriptures to life. Precepts for Living’s illustrations distinctively portray people of color in the biblical experience, helping African American and urban readers visualize Bible characters and events in a way that’s relevant to their cultural context.
Teaching TipsEach lesson in Precepts for Living includes a page of teaching tips designed by teachers for teachers. Every week, you’ll find valuable ready-to-use educational aids including:
- Words You Should Know: Vocabulary from the lesson Scripture with matching terms in biblical Hebrew and Greek.
- Teacher Preparation: A unifying principle to tie the lesson together, with useful tips for preparation throughout the week.
- O-P-E-N Model: UMI’s own pattern for instruction, a ready-made lesson plan for engaging the students’ interest in exploring and applying God’s Word.
- Worship Guide: Weekly plans for studying the Scripture, lesson theme, songs, and devotional reading.
- Say It Correctly: Helpful pronunciation guides for those complex biblical names.